Sunday, July 4, 2010

Aerodynamics 101

The movement of air and its effects on objects is fundamental in the study of aerodynamics. Air envelopes us and most living beings depend on it for their survivial. We feel its effects all the time, from the breath you are taking in now, to the gentle breeze you feel on a windy day. The fundamental laws governing air (or water) motion and its effects determine why cars, ships and aeroplanes are designed the way you see them. It explained why migatory birds fly in a V-formation and why sharks have micro-ridges on their skin. It played a basic role in the evolution of animals.

To teach aerodynamics in a blog is certainly not my intent, but I wanted to share some of my thoughts. After doing aero-related research for a number of years and now as an aerodynamics engineer, the subject matter has grown into me. I now draw a parallel to the job of a chef. A good chef, whose passion is to cook the finest cuisine, relies on his taste, his fundamental understanding of various ingredients and the chemistry behind cooking to dish out a winner. With a well stocked, well equiped kitchen, and with years of training to hone his skills, he will certainly develop a Zen-like appreciation of the culinary arts.

I hope to reach this "Zen-like" state in my job as an aerodynamics engineer. The engineering profession, in general, has a noble aspiration. It aims to help people, improve the quality of life and raise the standard of living through technical solutions that the Engineers design. No wonder that the French word for Engineer is "Ingenieur" because the root word is derived from the word “ingenuity". Taking the chef as an analogy, the Engineer relies on his training and understanding of the relevant branches of engineering science and mathematics to come up with creative solutions so as to improve the life of mankind. And within a limited budget, of course !!

So what is this "Zen-like" state that I aspire to reach ? That to internalise aerodynamics and its fundamental laws, and relate it to Life. I have high ideals for this blog and I hope that readers of what I share here will reflect on their own life. In essence, I am still using my training and understanding of aerodynamics to "come up with creative solutions so as to improve" YOUR LIFE..... In a nutshell, I am still an Engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment